GR5: The Book – A GR5 Honeymoon

29 Jun, 2010

As we walked the GR5 we made diaries, audio for me, written for LB. “LB” being a nickname, like “Red Yeti”. Some may be surprised by her actual name. Some who know us have been mighty confused by the “LB” mentioned on this blog!

So, assuming you don’t want to spend silly-money on a real, harback book about our honeymoon, take a look at the:

Free ebook version (you need to register to download) of A GR5 Honeymoon.

Unfortunately the ebook version doesn’t come with the cover that’s on the real book – but that’s at the top of this post – just click the image and you’ll get the idea.

The first Big Walk we did together in the Polish/Slovak Tatra has now faded somewhat in detail with only the pictures, a single, rather retrospective blog entry and the odd good yarn that has been told and re-told to friends to remind us. We didn’t want the GR5, or in fact any other Big Walk in future, to fade so much.

I wasn’t sure that I would remember to make an audio diary every day but with the lack of other distractions I managed it almost without fail.

We then transcribed it ourselves, partly as a way of making it more accessible in future to look back on and partly to add the details that we didn’t think to mention in the original as we went.

And then the project grew…

We added LB’s written diary into the transcription, organised it into a semi-formatted document (using Google Docs which allowed us to both be editing and adding to the same document at the same moment).

We then decided it was very, very “dry” without some photos so they started to come in.

And eventually, we had something not far short of a book. So we decided to go that last mile and create one. Just for us, with a copy for each of our respective parents.

It was completed last November, a couple of months after we returned, but we had quite some trouble getting the images to print correctly.

At last it’s time to “publish” it to the world.

Not that I expect anyone to read it all! But it might be of interest to flick through.

I certainly don’t expect anyone to buy a copy. Particularly since it’s rather expensive. The price that you see is purely the price that the Lulu charges to print, there’s no profit margin on there for me.

But considering it’s around 260 pages with a photos on most of them, and it’s wrapped in a glossy, full colour cover and printed exactly to order – it’s not badly priced at all.

Category :

Big Walk, Entertainment, GR5

Posted by RedYeti

16 Responses to “GR5: The Book – A GR5 Honeymoon”

1. Lighthiker Says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 12:17

Excellent idea and thanks for sharing this for free with the community! I’m just about to download it, put it on my mobile phone and read through it on my upcoming trip in the Alps. Will be a perfect match. No wonder why it was so quiet on your blog recently. Must have been a lot of work but something of a lasting percious memory for you and your wife aand for possible kids to learn how “crazy” their parents once where… :-)

2. Andy Howell Says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 15:06

Nice one Dave. Have often thought about doing something like this myself, but have always been put off by the amount of work involved!

3. Joe Says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 19:43

amazing. incredible. I knew this was a world class walk but I had no idea. your book blew my mind. the pictures are just great. cheers.

4. RedYeti Says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 22:44

Roman – it did take quite some time! Hope you enjoy it.

Though to be honest, the blog has been quiet with a recent shift in focus to a couple of other projects I’ve mumbled about on here. One is working out well but the larger project has a lot more effort to go before it’ll get anywhere. And they’re only obliquely “outdoors” related so there’s nothing much to say on here yet!

And I do still have some GR5 retrospectives that I’d love to get done before we leave for the GR20!

Anyway… I’m sure you’ll not find the trip diary interesting enough to occupy you for your whole trip! Better download something else I think ;)

And wait a minute – kids?? Good grief! We’ve got plenty of walking to do yet :)

5. RedYeti Says:
    June 30th, 2010 at 22:46

Joe – Very glad you like it! It seems crazy looking back that we ever considered not putting pictures in that match the time-line in the text.

It really is a spectacular walk but we were so lucky with the weather. Five weeks without wearing waterproofs and then an Indian Summer? Astonishing!

6. RedYeti Says:
    July 1st, 2010 at 13:55

Andy – Sorry you were caught by Akismet for some reason! I’d recommend the Bad Behaviour WordPress plugin as well as Akismet. It’s dropped my spam count to a trickle.

I have a feeling that the Blurb tool that you can download would make this about a tenth of the work! I’ll give it a go myself next time…

7. Martin Rye Says:
    July 1st, 2010 at 18:24

Thanks Dave I shall download it and enjoy the read.

8. RedYeti Says:
    July 1st, 2010 at 19:03

I hope it inspires you to some Alpine walking Martin! :)

9. Nigel Says:
    July 9th, 2010 at 18:18

What a great idea the book is – and the photo on the cover is stunning. I only downloaded the free version but I’m looking forward to browsing through it.

You havent been up in Capel Curig, Wales recently have you – or it may have been your double in the Tyn y Coed pub!

10. RedYeti Says:
    July 9th, 2010 at 18:26

Hi Nigel – the cover shot is of the most stunning view of the trip – but only just I think, there were so many!

That justified lumping the EOS 400D (DSLR) and 10-22 lens on it’s own I reckon. We were dead lucky to catch it looking like that.

And yes – I was in the Tyn Y Coed – celebrating our joint birthdays (I’m Thirty Ten, LB is Twenty Ten). I have a feeling I remember you sat at a the table almost next to ours from your blog picture!

11. Nigel Says:
    July 12th, 2010 at 19:56

Hi, yes indeed that was me sat by the window, until I de-camped to watch the football. I kind of half-recognised your face when I was reading your blog and then after seeing your book with the two of you together it dawned on my why you looked so familiar. Such a small world, the blogosphere…and Wales.

Been reading your Honeymoon book – some great photos and no doubt in years to come it will be seen as an indespensible guide to the GR5.

PS. Happy (belated) birthday to you both

12. RedYeti Says:
    July 13th, 2010 at 21:06

Aye – a small world indeed!

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the kind word re. the book. An indispensible guide to the best blueberry tarts perhaps ;)

13. Juris Says:
    August 28th, 2010 at 21:39

Read it all with interest. Great book describing a great trip indeed!

Looking forward to your GR20 one :)

14. RedYeti Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 23:30

Wow – that’s great Juris. Glad it was interesting enough to stick with!

Yes… there may yet be a GR20 one since it seems we are going after all.

15. GR5 Summary | Long Distance Trail Says:
    January 15th, 2014 at 15:12

[…] http://drw.me.uk/RedYeti/2010/06/29/gr5-the-book-a-gr5-honeymoon/ […]

16. RedYeti Says:
    October 23rd, 2014 at 12:30

I’ve been updating the link to the ebook since Lulu quietly broke it (you now have to register to get it). So if this post has been popping up in RSS feeds that’s why!

Since I’m here I’ll just mention that we’ve now printed that cover using http://www.photowall.com/ (there’s a co.uk and several other country specific ones) at nearly 4 metres across and it now adorns the study wall behind me! Well worth lugging a DSLR as I said! :)