I’ve just noticed that the corrections given for the guide book have changed – because a new edition came out in February! Looks like I had it wrong that Kev was researching a new one this year – it must have been during 2006.
But luckily I took a copy before they removed them. So in case it helps anyone, these are for the third edition, 2001, “Chamonix-Zermatt, The Walker’s Haute Route” by Kev Reynolds.
- p51: HOTEL DU COL DE LA FORCLAZ: please change telephone number to: 027 722 2688
- p56 & 60: CHAMPEX: please note there is no longer a bank in Champex, but the tourist information office has foreign exchange facilities.
- p64: LE CHÂBLE: please delete reference to Pension Les Alpes Garni (now closed)
- p86: the ‘lone farm’ referred to in the 2nd paragraph, is now the REFUGE DES ECOULAIES (2575m) owned by the Ski Club les Pyramides. 22 places, self-catering only, manned at weekends. For reservations tel: 027 281 21 54 (see also www.lespyramides.ch)
- p100: LA GOUILLE: please add: rooms & dortoir at Pension du Lac Bleu Tel 027 283 11 65
- p116: SOREBOIS cableway station: please add: dortoir accommodation at Cabane de Sorebois Tel 027 475 13 78 – open mid-June to late Sept
- p147: GASENRIED please note that Hotel Alpenrösli now has 10 dormitory places
- p152: The path from BREITMATTEN TO RANDA has been reinstated at last. It is no longer necessary to walk up the road for about 30mins as per the guide. Instead, immediately after crossing the footbridge onto the main valley road on the edge of Breitmatten, turn right on a good track signed to Randa. When this brings you onto a road by the railway, walk ahead up the road for a few hundred metres, then take an obvious track on the right which follows the river all the way, bypassing Randa.
- p157: Changes have occurred to a section of route described in the final paragraph on this page. Where the road forks by a small chapel, you should now take the lower road which crosses a bridge just round the corner and is signed to the Europa Hut.
- p165: ZERMATT: please delete reference to Hotel de la Poste (now 3-star), and add Hotel Testa Grigia Tel 027 966 79 00